"Child maltreatment includes all types of abuse and neglect of a child under the age of 18 by a parent, caregiver, or another person in a custodial role (e.g., clergy, coach, teacher). There are four common types of maltreatment."
- There were 683,000 victims of child abuse and neglect reported to child protective services (CPS) in 2015.
- The youngest children are the most vulnerable with about 24% of children in their first year of life experiencing victimization.
- CPS reports may underestimate the true occurrence of abuse and neglect. A non-CPS study estimated that 1 in 4 children experience some form of child abuse or neglect in their lifetimes.
- About 1,670 children died from abuse or neglect in 2015.
- The total lifetime cost of child abuse and neglect is estimated at $124 billion each year.
For more information, please follow the link below!